CWEEL Board Openings Announcement June 2020
*Applications due no later than July 20, 2020
The CWEEL Board of Directors is seeking to fill two board positions. This is an extraordinary opportunity for individuals who are passionate about gender equity in the energy sector, called to support the success of CWEEL and who have a track record of volunteerism and leadership. The mission of the Council on Women in Energy & Environmental Leadership is to provide a network for women in the energy and environmental industries that can assist in supporting career development for professional women, mentoring for young and aspiring women to pursue technical education and careers in the energy and environmental fields, and scholarships on a global level. The Council on Women in Energy & Environmental Leadership (CWEEL) is a division of the non-profit International Association of Energy Engineers.
The Council on Women in Energy & Environmental Leadership is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. The board serves to establish and fulfill the mission and objectives of CWEEL. The board sets policies, provides oversight and management of the organization, and participates in the execution of the strategic plan.
The CWEEL Board of Directors is seeking to fill two board positions. The CWEEL Board of Directors each serve a three-year term. Board meetings are held monthly. Each director chairs a CWEEL committee and the committee meetings are held as determined by each Committee Chair but no less than quarterly. Service on CWEEL’s board of directors is voluntary and without remuneration or reimbursement for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.
Board Member Qualifications
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Professional experience in science/manufacturing, business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector related to energy and environmental sectors and/or women’s advancement
- A commitment to and understanding of CWEEL’s mission preferably based on experience
- A natural affinity for cultivating relationships, attracting new members and facilitating consensus-building among diverse individuals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for supporting women in the energy and environmental fields
- Member of the Association of Energy Engineers and CWEEL
Board Member Responsibilities
- Regularly attend board meetings and important related meetings with voting on board matters.
- Makes a commitment to participate actively in committee work – including developing and managing committees.
- Volunteer for and willingly accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time.
- Stay informed about committee matters, prepare for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and reports.
- Get to know other committee members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
- Is an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts.
- Participates in fund raising for the organization
There are currently eleven (11) Board committees and two (2) openings (in bold) for the following committees/board positions:
Open Board Positions:
1. Membership – US – OPEN
2. Programs & Events – International – OPEN
Filled Board Positions:
3. Career Advancement
4. Chapter Liaison
5. International CWEEL
6. Marketing, Communication & Social Media
7. Mentor Program
8. Membership – International
9. Programs & Events – US
10. Scholarships & Student Enrichment Program
11. Fundraising & Corporate Sponsors
A description of the two open positions are provided below. If you have any questions you may contact Laurie Wiegand-Jackson, CWEEL Board Chair, via email at email@example.com.
Membership – US
The U.S. Membership Committee Chair is responsible for driving significant membership growth across the fifty states of the United States. Responsibilities include: (1) defining and improving the membership value proposition and fee structure, (2) creatively marketing CWEEL membership within AEE and through external channels, (3) communicating with new members (welcome emails, etc) and managing member renewals, (4) distribution of CWEEL membership pins, (5) strategic planning and fulfillment for membership campaigns, and (6) development and management of the US membership committee. Current membership is approximately 300 members. The CWEEL board has identified membership growth as our first priority and all committees will be aligned in helping the Membership chair to achieve the membership goals. The candidate for this position must be prepared to support growth of 100% annually – with a three-year goal to increase CWEEL membership to 4,000 members by the end of 2023. The U.S. Membership Committee Chair will also work collaboratively with our International Membership Committee Chair to provide consistency and share best practices for our US and international members.
Programs & Events – International
The Programs & Events Committee Chair is responsible for oversight of all International programming and CWEEL events. Responsibilities include (1) coordinating with International CWEEL Groups who desire to hold local CWEEL events (2) developing a program kit for International CWEEL chapters that are interested in hosting a CWEEL event, (3) providing timely information on events to all CWEEL committees for support and event promotion, and (4) developing and managing an International Programs & Events Committee.
If you are interested in applying for one of these positions on the CWEEL board, please provide the following information:
- A statement of experience and skills to meet the qualifications and responsibilities for the board position (see above descriptions of qualifications and responsibilities)
- A statement of your goals and purpose for applying to the CWEEL board
- A copy of your CV/bio
- The committee(s) which you are applying to chair (select one or more committees) – (1) U.S. Membership or (2) International Programs & Events
- A statement that you will commit to attend at least one CWEEL Board Meeting each year in person (there are three in-person board meetings held in conjunction with AEE’s three US conferences). (Subject to travel restrictions due to COVID 19 we do not expect in-person meetings until sometime in 2021). If you have any concerns with meeting this requirement, please explain in your application.
- Two written references (preferably one from an active AEE member)
Applications may be submitted at any time between June 20, 2020 and July 20, 2020. The CWEEL Board expects to make its selection in August with the new board positions effective September 1, 2020.