Open Board Position: International CWEEL Groups Committee Chair
The Board of Directors of the Council on Women in Energy & Environmental Leadership (CWEEL) is seeking to fill the board position of International CWEEL Groups Committee Chair. This is an extraordinary opportunity for individuals who are passionate about gender equity in the energy sector globally; are called to support the success of CWEEL; and have a track record of volunteerism and leadership. CWEEL’s mission is to provide a network for women in the energy and environmental industries that can assist in supporting career development for professional women, mentoring for young and aspiring women to pursue technical education and careers in the energy and environmental fields, and scholarships on a global level. CWEEL is a division of the nonprofit Association of Energy Engineers.
CWEEL is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. The board serves to establish and fulfill the mission and objectives of CWEEL. The board sets policies; provides oversight and management of the organization; and participates in the execution of the strategic plan.
The CWEEL Board of Directors is seeking to fill the board position of International CWEEL Groups Committee Chair effective January 2021. The CWEEL Board of Directors each serve a three-year term. Board meetings are held monthly. Each director chairs a CWEEL committee, and the committee meetings are held as determined by each Committee Chair but no less than quarterly. Service on CWEEL’s board of directors is voluntary and without remuneration or reimbursement for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.
Board Member Qualifications
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Professional experience in business, government, philanthropy, science/manufacturing, or the nonprofit sector related to energy and environmental sectors and/or women’s advancement
- Professional experience applying for and securing grants or other funding support from international development aid agencies (i.e., USAID, EuropeAid, FCDO; multilateral organizations (i.e., UN agencies, EBRD, AfDB); and/or non-governmental organizations (i.e., CARE, Oxfam, Plan)
- A commitment to and understanding of CWEEL’s mission preferably based on experience
- A natural affinity for cultivating relationships, attracting new members and facilitating consensus-building among diverse individuals
- Fluent in English with excellent written and oral communication skills and a natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for supporting women in the energy and environmental fields
Board Member Responsibilities
- Regularly attend board meetings and important related meetings with voting on board matters
- Makes a commitment to participate actively in committee work – including developing and managing committees
- Volunteer for and willingly accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time
- Stay informed about committee matters, prepare for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and reports
- Get to know other committee members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus
- Is an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
- Participates in fundraising for the organization
CWEEL Board Structure
There are currently 11 board positions, as follows:
- Membership – US
- Membership – International
- Programs & Events – US
- Programs & Events – International
- International CWEEL Groups
- Career Advancement
- Chapter Liaison
- Marketing, Communication & Social Media
- Mentor Program
- Scholarships & Student Enrichment Program
- Fundraising & Corporate Sponsors
A description of the open position is provided below. If you have any questions you may contact Laurie Wiegand-Jackson, CWEEL Board Chair, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International CWEEL Groups Committee Chair Board Position Description:
The International CWEEL Committee Chair is responsible for advancing CWEEL groups outside of the United States. Responsibilities include (1) working with AEE members/chapters around the world to appoint CWEEL Leads/Liaisons and establish CWEEL groups, (2) drive active engagement and sharing of ideas across groups, including regular (at least quarterly) committee meetings, (3) work with international CWEEL groups to establish and monitor country-specific goals/activities, and (4) finalize and communicate approved processes/documentation around group establishment, mentorship program, and other CWEEL activity areas. The International CWEEL Committee Chair will also work collaboratively with our International Membership Committee Chair and International Programs & Events Chair to provide consistency and share information around membership and programs & events with all international CWEEL liaisons/groups.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please provide the following information:
- The board position for which you are applying along with a statement of experience and skills to meet the qualifications and responsibilities for this position (see above descriptions)
- A statement of your goals and purpose for applying to the CWEEL board
- A copy of your CV/bio
- A statement that you will commit to:
- Becoming/remaining an active member of the Association of Energy Engineers and CWEEL during your term;
- Attending at least one CWEEL Board Meeting each year in person (there are three in-person board meetings held in conjunction with AEE’s three US conferences). (Subject to travel restrictions due to COVID 19 we do not expect in-person meetings until later in 2021). If you have any concerns with meeting this requirement, please explain in your application
- Two written references (preferably one from an active AEE member)
Applications are due to Laurie Wiegand-Jackson, CWEEL Board Chair, via email at email@example.com no later than November 13, 2020. The CWEEL Board expects to make its selection in December with the new board position effective January 1, 2021.