The board chairperson and directors serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term (total six years maximum). Board meetings are held monthly and committee meetings will be held as determined by each Committee Chair but no less than quarterly. Service on CWEEL’s board of directors is voluntary and without remuneration or reimbursement for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.
Board Member Qualifications
This is an extraordinary opportunity for individuals who are passionate about the success of CWEEL and who have a track record of volunteerism and leadership.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Professional experience in science/manufacturing, business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector related to energy and environmental sectors and/or women’s advancement
- A commitment to and understanding of CWEEL’s mission preferably based on experience
- A natural affinity for cultivating relationships, attracting new members and facilitating consensus-building among diverse individuals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for supporting women in the energy and environmental fields
- Member of the Association of Energy Engineers and CWEEL
Board Member Responsibilities
1. Regularly attends board meetings and important related meetings.
2. Makes serious commitment to participate actively in committee work.
3. Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time.
4. Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
5. Gets to know other committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
6. Is an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts.
7. Participates in fund raising for the organization
There are currently ten (10) Board committees and two (2) openings for the following committees/board positions:
- Membership – US
The U.S. Membership Committee Chair is responsible for driving significant membership growth across the fifty states of the United States. Responsibilities include: (1) defining and improving the membership value proposition and fee structure, (2) creatively marketing CWEEL membership within AEE and through external channels, (3) communicating with new members (welcome emails, etc) and managing member renewals, (4) distribution of CWEEL membership pins, (5) strategic planning and fulfillment for membership campaigns, and (6) development and management of the US membership committee. Current membership is approximately 275 members. The CWEEL board has identified membership growth as our first priority and all committees will be aligned in helping the Membership chair to achieve the membership goals. The candidate for this position must be prepared to support growth of 100% annually – with a three year goal to increase CWEEL membership to 4,000 members by the end of 2023. The U.S. Membership Committee Chair will also work collaboratively with our International Membership Committee Chair to provide consistency and share best practices for our US and international members.
- Programs & Events (Includes local/regional networking and sponsors)
The Programs & Events Committee Chair oversees all programming at CWEEL events. Responsibilities include (1) confirming programming (including speakers and sponsors) at CWEEL’s regional and national breakfast events which are scheduled in conjunction with the Association of Energy Engineers’ conferences, (2) developing a program kit and support for local CWEEL chapters that are interested in hosting a CWEEL event, (3) providing timely information on events to all CWEEL committees for event promotion (4) coordinating travel budgets in conjunction with AEE for attendees at CWEEL programs, and (5) developing and managing the Programs & Events Committee.
If you are interested in applying for a position on the CWEEL board, please provide the following information:
- A statement of experience and skills to meet the qualifications and responsibilities for the board position (see above descriptions of qualifications and responsibilities)
- A statement of your goals and purpose for applying to the CWEEL board
- A copy of your CV/bio
- The committee(s) which you are applying to chair (select one or more committees) – (1) Mentor Program, (2) Membership, (3) Fundraising & Corporate Sponsors
- A statement that you will commit to attend at least one CWEEL Board Meeting each year in person (there are three in-person board meetings held in conjunction with AEE’s three conferences). If you have any concerns with meeting this requirement, please explain in your application.
- Two written references (preferably one from an active AEE member)
If you have any questions, please reach out to our Board Chair, Laurie Wiegand-Jackson at 848-565-1212 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are due no later than March 6, 2020. The CWEEL Board expects to make its selection in March with the new board positions effective April 1, 2020.
The mission of the Council on Women in Energy & Environmental Leadership is to provide a network for women in the energy and environmental industries that can assist in supporting career development for professional women, mentoring for young and aspiring women to pursue technical education and careers in the energy and environmental fields, and scholarships on a global level. The Council on Women in Energy & Environmental Leadership (CWEEL) is a division of the non-profit International Association of Energy Engineers.
The Council on Women in Energy & Environmental Leadership is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. The board serves to establish and fulfill the mission and objectives of CWEEL. The board sets policies and provides oversight and management of the organization.